Founder & Managing General Partner
(Houston, Texas and Langley, British Columbia)
Gursh Kundan is the Founder and Managing General Partner for Stratagem Innovation Capital Partners (SIC.partners). Gursh oversees several investment portfolios seeding start-ups while continuing to grow relationships within the venture capital and private equity community in US and Canada. Working with innovators, universities, community leaders, and government agencies, his focus is helping innovators in New Media, CleanTech and Health Science. Although his passion extends across all communities, he has a special interest in empowering South-Asian-Sikh communities in Canada and US.
Gursh was born in Leeds, England and grew up in British Columbia’s Fraser Valley in the 1970s on his parent’s organic farm learning the principles of sustainable farming, waste management, and energy efficiency. After the death of his father from cancer, Gursh embraced his passion for incubating innovation by taking over his family’s real estate and sustainable farming corporation and transitioning it into a private equity & venture capital partnership.
Gursh’s passion for innovation and community service came from his father (RamKundan Singh Kundan), whose migration to Canada spanned 4 continents. Born in an Indian village in the Punjab province, with a grade 9 education, RamKundan aimed to escape poverty in pursuit of a better life, immigrating to Kenya, then England. After the birth of his children, with his family encountering racism in the late 1960’s, RamKundan migrated to British Columbia, Canada (his family would follow 3 years later), becoming the first original Sikh family to settle in Langley. Through hard work and perseverance, Gursh’s father became a master-machinist training countless apprentices, started and operated a successful organic farm, co-founded the Ramgharia society (focused on community enrichment), and became a prolific investor.
Building on his father’s legacy of hard work and compassion for others, Gursh now dedicates his time and resources to incubating innovation which makes a measured and positive impact on the world.
Over the past 30 years, he has participated in and led all aspects of business development. From 2002-2016, Gursh was with Invesco where, during the course of his tenure with US Retail, the firm raised over $350B in flows across asset classes including private equity across mutual funds, ETFs, UIT, sub-advised, separately managed accounts and collective trusts.
- Most recently at Invesco, Gursh led the go-to-market strategy for a Silicon Valley based digital advisory platform acquisition, including engagement strategy for US broker/dealers. Gursh chaired the Global Technology Distribution Committee and was a member of Invesco’s Global Technology Committee, focused on evolving sales and distribution practice and technology through innovation. Additionally, he served on the US Retail Distribution Leadership Committee and has chaired several investment strategy engagement efforts, including cross-border opportunities with India and Asia..
- Gursh was also EVP and Head of US Retail Business Development and Invesco Consulting, focused on enhancing client engagement with the largest broker dealers in the US, including Morgan Stanley, Merrill Lynch and UBS with an emphasis on strategic partnerships and investment research engagement.
- Prior to this, he was appointed Head of US Retail Internal Sales and Invesco Consulting across all US retail and retirement & insurance channels, as well as the Invesco Consulting group, which is dedicated to helping broker dealers and advisors grow their business.
- In 2009 he focused on strengthening the US retail business serving as Executive Vice President, US Retail Sales and CAO, Strategy and Operations. During this time he led Invesco’s US retail sales integration after the acquisition of Morgan Stanley’s Retail Asset Management business. He also led engagement teams from McKinsey & Co., Deloitte, PWC and Accenture.
- In 2002, Gursh joined Invesco Canada as Vice President, leading strategic initiatives for the Americas, and serving as VP Corporate Services & Strategy and VP Technology. During this time he led integration efforts of the acquisition of PowerShares by Invesco, global operations & technology transformation and product vehicle structure development, strategy and launches. He was also responsible for the development of economic scenarios and business cases leading Invesco to establish an enterprise operation centers in PEI, Canada in partnership with the provincial government, and the global operations center in India.
Gursh also spent a number of years in private equity, incubating start-ups and in financial services in the 1990’s & early 2000’s.
- He was a Partner and Head of Incubation for a Canadian private equity firm, responsible for new media in the healthcare, financial services, and consumer services industries.
- He was a founding Principal and Executive Vice President of Canada’s first SaaS based platform for broker dealer business operations, servicing Canada’s top independent advisory firms, with a successful exit.
- Prior to this, he served as a Director of the self-directed retirement division for Laurentian Bank, developing record-keeping and back-office products and services.
- Gursh started his career in corporate finance for one of Canada’s largest independent financial planning /securities firms, Financial Concept Group which was sold to Midland Walwyn Capital, Inc / Merrill Lynch & Co., Canada Ltd., syndicating limited partnerships and leading programs to help advisors increase their effectiveness
Gursh completed the Private Equity and Venture Capital (PEVC) Program from Harvard Business School, Sustainable Development Studies from Columbia University, Healthcare Innovation and Entrepreneurship from Duke University School of Medicine, Entrepreneurship Program from The Wharton School, Virtual Teacher Specialization from University of California, and Executive Data Science Specialization from Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. Gursh also earned a Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration from Simon Fraser University in Vancouver, with a focus on strategic planning, marketing, finance and kinesiology. Along with his series 7, 24, and 66, Gursh also holds a Masters certification in Project Management from York University and a Project Management Professional (PMP) designation from the Project Management Institute.